Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Freaks and Greeks

Last month I got obsessed with Greek mythology for one reason or another. I guess the Romans had a point in stealing the Greek gods for themselves, as the mythology itself is a lot more interesting than most of its contemporaries, (I'm looking at you, Paleo-Balkanic mythology). So I started off with the myths I was most familiar with; Persephone in Hades and Perseus killing Medusa . I guess it says something about the pastel nature of my day job as a children's book illustrator that my personal art projects immediately tend toward the morbid and downright gruesome.

After that, I got obsessed with Disney animated features AND Greek mythology, so my style took a bit of a change as I tackled Prometheus stealing the fire from Mt. Olympus (both the clothed and unclothed versions) and the centaur Chiron tutoring a young Jason (of the Argonauts).









Greg White Illustration





2 comments:

  1. Gotta say, I really dig the first one. Lots of emotion in her eyes.

    ReplyDelete